Friday, October 24, 2008

Was Chuck Berry from Chile?

The good people of Chile speak Spanish in a chewed-up impenetrable way, dropping letters and generally mauling their way through sentences. Como estas (how are you?) sounds like 'comtai?'. One of their favourite letters to drop is 's', which often goes walkabout if it's in the middle or end of a word. Hence, the word 'escudo' sounds like 'cudo', which is worth knowing as it's a brand of beer. When my parents came to visit a few years ago we got into a taxi and I rather stupidly asked to be taken to the street 'Carlos Antunez'. The taxi driver, incomprehension writ large across his face as I continued to ask for 'Carlos Antunez' with increasing panic, suddenly had a eureka moment and exclaimed 'carloantuni?', to which I shamefacedly nodded.

Yesterday morning the ipod threw up Jerry Lee Lewis live in Hamburg for me to listen to. It's a storming set in front of an appreciative crowd. It perked me up no end. It seemed only fitting to do the return journey home to a soundtrack of Chuck Berry, as it had been a rock n'roll day. As I got off the metro to 'Too Much Monkey Business' it struck me that Chuck was actually singing 'Too much monkibi - ni', ditching the s like someone from Rancagua. Could the great duck walker himself be chileno?